Phone: 206-381-9806 Ext: 125
A Puget Sound area native, Marlyn is a litigator with Barker Martin, practicing construction defect law exclusively since 2002. Marlyn’s legal career has emphasized litigation in all aspects including a former stint as a King County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in the criminal division and civil litigator. With extensive jury and bench trial experience, Marlyn also focuses on appellate advocacy and has argued before the Courts of Appeals and Supreme Court of Washington. Most recently, she has developed the firm’s Collection Services Program for community associations. Marlyn is actively involved in advancing homeowner rights through legislative committee work. Out of the office, Marlyn enjoys swimming, tennis and kayaking with her family.
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1996
- Note & Comment Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- University of Washington, B.A., with honors, 1992
- United States District Court for Western District of Washington
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Washington State Community Associations Institute
- Oregon Community Associations Institute
- Oregon Washington Community Association Managers
- Washington State Bar Real Property Group UCIOA Committee
Appellate Court Decisions – Lead Appellate Counsel
- Satomi Owners Ass’n v. Satomi, LLC 139 Wash. App. 175 (2007).
- Serrano on California Condominium Homeowners Ass’n v. First Pacific Development, Ltd., 143 Wn. App. 521 (2008).
- Fraternal Order of Eagles, Tenino Aerie No. 564 v. Grand Aerie, Fraternal Order of Eagles, 148 Wn.2d 224 (2002).
Publications and Presentations
- Reasonable Reactions: Rule Making and Rule Enforcement, Washington State Community Association Institute Law Day; Lynwood, WA, April 25, 2015
- Enforcement Actions: The Right Way to Correct Wrongs, Washington State Community Association Institute Law Day; Lynnwood, WA, April 26, 2014
- Pacific Northwest Insurance Coverage & Current Trends, 19th Annual West Region Construction Defect & Insurance Coverage Conference, San Diego, CA, September 18-20, 2013
- Deck the Halls with Boughs of Religiously Neutral, Inflammable, Allergen Free, Prickly-Green-Leaf with Red-Berry Branches (in Limited Common Areas Only Please!), WSCAI Community Associations Journal, December 2012
- Association Safety and Crime Prevention, Washington State Community Associations Institute, June 26, 2012
- Governing Documents & Liability, September 6, 2008
- Flags, Signs and Associations, WSCAI Community Associations Journal, November/December 2007
- Construction Defects: New Construction and Conversion Condominiums, November 13, 2007