Summer is Prime Community Time
One of the primary objectives of a community association board of directors is to facilitate and encourage a sense of connection within their physical community.
There are multiple ways a board can boost community, including using committees comprised of homeowners, utilizing a robust communication system that may include a website or monthly newsletter that keeps owners informed, planning community-wide events that allow for social interaction, and transparent board action that invites owner input.
And now that summer is upon us with its longer days and sunny weather, it is perfect time for condominium and homeowner association boards of directors to foster community in ways that take advantage of our Pacific Northwest climate. Some of these methods include:
- A potluck weekend lunch or mid-week dinner.
- A landscape or clean-up Saturday (for liability reasons, we recommend owners do not climb ladders or use power tools).
- A board town-hall meeting for the sole purpose of listening to owners’ suggestions on improving the community.
- An evening outdoor movie.
- A chili/barbecue/dessert or other food cook off.
These are but a few of the many tools a board can use during the warm summer months to improve harmony, collaboration and cohesiveness within a community association. The team at Barker Martin wishes all of you a warm and harmonious summer season.